Thursday, March 4, 2021

VINCENT HOFFER

 


VINCENT HOFFER

How did you begin your journey as a songwriter? It seems that you have some pretty deep rock n' roll roots, so were you exposed to a lot of classic stuff as a kid? When did you first pick up a guitar, and when did you write your first song?

I saw the movie "La Bamba" when I was four or five years old, and I wanted to be Richie Valens. Then when my aunt gave me "The Beatles Beginnings" and The Beach Boys' "Endless Summer" on cassette a year later, I was consumed; I wanted a guitar, but in the meantime, I made a makeshift drum kit out of a set of bongos and a cookie tin because I wouldn't have a guitar for few more years. When I got the guitar, I started watching Beatles and Beach Boys on VHS, trying to figure out what chords they were playing, and I was off. I wrote my first tune when I was eleven. 

I know you from The Scutches, but you also played in other bands. I'm interested to know about your time in The Sheckies in particular - how did you link up with Andy and King? It seemed interesting to me because The Sheckies are such a goofy band compared to the more understated Scutches material. What was that experience like?

I remember inviting them up to Long Island for a gig, and we became friends. Then Andy asked me to play bass on a record. Four months later we were up in New Hampshire recording with Joe Queer. I didn't have a line-up for the Scutches so I jumped at the chance. After that, they needed a bassist for a tour so they asked me, and I agreed. It was magic, I met most of my friends I have today on tour with the Sheckies.

How did The Scutches form initially? You're the band leader, so what was your initial goal and how have you evolved your vision of the band as you've gone through various changes throughout the experience so far?

I started in bands as a drummer for years. Then after high school, many of the band members, mainly the frontmen, would become unreliable, at least in my eyes. So I began taking songwriting more seriously. I wanted to play shows and travel, not to mention I've always had a deep feeling of "times running out" for some reason, so I became relentless. For me, the years keep getting better in some form or another and I've adapted to change pretty well, now I'm in love with "change." I won't do or record the same thing twice. I guess that feeling of "running out of time" morphed into that.

Your band is essentially still an underground phenomenon, but you have a strong following and your songwriting has been acknowledged by many bands, including TBR who covered "Don't Go" on their covers album. Where do you see The Scutches in the context of the scene? Do you enjoy having a sort of cult/underground status? What would be your ideal situation for The Scutches in terms of exposure and professionalism?

I don't know, to be honest, I've always kind of felt a little on the outside, Maybe it's all in my head. Status--I think having a status means you're active, and I like being active, so I'm happy with any type of status, I suppose. Then again, there's the Beatles' status: super unrealistic, long shot in the highest regard, but that's my goal: Beatles' status.

You obviously put a lot of time and effort into making your recordings sound great. What is your background and experience with production, and what are your priorities when recording a new album? You travel to studios, too? Is it difficult logistically and financially to maintain this standard?

I've always treated demoing like making a record. A lot of my production ideas come from that, just sitting at home hashing it out, and I have a good idea of how the song should appear just by what it's about. Lyrics and melodies are number one for me, once you have those, then you can create a space surrounding that. These days going into the studio is a different ballpark. We pay to record our records, so every little detail has to be worked out beforehand, but logistics aren't the problem; it's the travel to get there and the hope that you won't get sick or lose your voice. After that, it's just another day. 

I find that a common thread among songwriters is the presence of personal struggles, especially mental/emotional challenges that drive us to write in the first place. Can you relate to that, and how does songwriting serve you personally?

I'm still unsure how songwriting serves me. I just find myself doing it, and it makes more sense for me to write what I feel. That way, at least it's true. Maybe once I've written that particular song, I can come to terms somehow.

What are somes of your proudest accomplishments so far as a musician, and what are some of your future goals that you've yet to achieve? 

Playing shows with bands and people I admire gives me a pretty good feeling. My goal now is to release a new record and tour.  Anything that comes with that can't be bad, right?

You recently released a solo tune with me and I think it turned out great - do you foresee more solo recordings in the future? Have you thought about your potential as a touring singer-songwriter as opposed to fronting a punk band?

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I think about it from time to time, but I always shove it away due to the fact that I don't think anyone would want to see that, at least, I've yet to see the signs, though I'd enjoy it; It's much better for me when everyone enjoys it.

What are your biggest advantages and challenges as a songwriter and musician working in 2021? How has technology shaped the experience, and are there things that you miss about the "traditional" methods and pathways we took for granted in the 90s?

Currently, I am mixing our new record at home and I've just recently learned how to use audio software. I must say, technology is great, It's fast, and you have unlimited resources. I do find myself thinking way too much on the same thing, so in that regard, it can be frustrating; but that's probably on me because I still use traditional methods like playing the song all the way through, getting a whole take, not just punching in.

What's next for you? And are there any shout-outs or closing remarks you'd like to offer? Right now I'm just about done with the new record and I hope it comes out soon, just waiting on the world. 

Grim, you are one of the most genuine dudes I know, and we haven't even met face to face. I'm stoked for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment