Friday, December 11, 2020

THE ANTI-BODIES

 


THE ANTI-BODIES
Interview with Gb Alyn

My memory is a bit hazy around when we first came into contact, but I definitely recall hearing The Anti-Bodies for the first time and being struck by how good it sounded. I wondered how you guys weren't already a household name? Can you give us a bit of history on the band?

I believe we first came into contact in 2017. 
Shortly after, we released The Anti-Bodies/ Grim Deeds "Unholy Union" split together on Outloud! Records.

We started in 2011-ish, as a two piece cover band. 
We'd (myself and Jez A. Disaster) would go to open mic night and perform Misfits and oldies tunes for about four to five heavily intoxicated, friendly strangers who'd encourage us to keep at it.
We eventually became a four piece (sometimes five piece) playing originals and the occasional cover.
We recorded our self titled full length album in 2012-2013, which didn't really get noticed until around 2016-ish, right after we became a two piece again.
We started to appear on various punk rock compilations and Matt Bennett (Vocalist/bassist of The Moans) released our album on Outloud! Records.
Kevin Aper's (Vocalist/guitarist of The Apers and vocalist of Insanity Alert) label "Monster Zero Records" also sold our album.
We recorded a couple more singles as a two piece. 
Soon after, Jez became a MUMMY and I'm currently on lead vocals.

Buffalo, New York brings to mind good music for sure, but I can't think of many melodic punk bands from there. What's the music scene like where you live? Do you feel connected to it?

In all honesty, I don't really know too much about the current music scene in Buffalo. 

The Anti-Bodies draw from a lot of cool influences, everything from The Misfits and The Lillingtons to more metallic influences, especially production-wise. How did you settle upon this particular musical aesthetic? What inspires you to keep it sci-fi and horror-themed?

Everything that comes out is just what feels the most natural. Same with the sci-fi and horror theme. Just seems like alot of fun to try and capture that feeling of being a kid, having a sleep over with your friends, watching scary movies and creating your own world of imagination to play in. 

Your songwriting is very impressive to me, and always has been. What's your songwriting background - how did you start and how did you develop your own style? Do you have a normal process for creating songs, and if so please describe?

Ever since I was a kid, I was always reading and trying to come up with my own stories. So when I eventually got into music, of course I wanted to write my own songs. 
I remember having a "Green Day notebook" in middle school. id write all their lyrics in it with a green marker(until my teacher told me I was wasting my time.) I was obessessed with lyric sheets for some reason. I'd often make a lyric sheet full of songs for a band that didn't actually exist. In highschool, I started my first band and we were heavily influenced by The Ramones. I started to develop my own style just by trying to write songs that I wanted to hear more of. Simplistic but hopefully interesting enough to want to sing along to. I don't have any specific process for creating songs. I'd say its very random. 

Another feature of The Anti-Bodies I appreciate a lot is your commitment to releasing songs and albums with killer artwork. It seems like you're in contact with a lot of great comic-style artists. Was this something you had in mind from the beginning?

I think it was always in the back of my mind. Being a huge comic book fan and art lover, once I realized it was a possibility to connect with these super talented artists, I had to go for it. I nerd out when I get to see their take on something I love.

Production-wise, your sound incorporates some of the heavier elements of Graves-era Misfits and even some nods to heavy metal, especially the kick drum patterns and chunky guitar tone. You've even got some pretty wlid solos in some songs. Are you a fan of metal? What inspires you to incorporate these elements into your sound?

Oh yea, totally love metal. Whatever the song calls for, we'll definitely throw it in. That's really what it comes down to. 

The Anti-Bodies are a fairly mysterious band, and I have only seen a few rare clips of live shows. Do you consider yourself to be as much a live band as a recording project? To what extent would you be touring if you could? Do you enjoy recording more than live shows?

It's currently just a recording project. I personally love the recording process and working alongside Doug white at Watchmen Studios. It's a very smooth, fun and creative experience.
It's hard to really say which i enjoy more. The live era was so short lived that its hard to remember what its like to be on stage.   
If we had the right line up then I'd definitely be open to live shows, touring, etc...  

Where do you think you fit in terms of the scene and punk community? You seem to sort of straddle the line between pop punk and horror punk, much like my pals in The Jasons. From what Jason V has told me, they are definitely two distinct scenes with very different sensibilities and sources of drama! What has your experience been like so far with respect to being included and "accepted" in the weird world of punk music?

I'd have no clue where we fit! I think both pop punkers and horror punkers could appreciate what we do.
So far, its mostly been positive feedback. There was a comment I read on YouTube once that said "I'd rather pour hot diarrhea into my ears then to listen to this band." So, it can get weird (or gross) out there for sure.
Latley, it seems like the band is getting alot of straight up horror/sci fi movie fanatics (who might not even know about pop punk/horror punk etc..)interested in the band. Making alot of cool friends and connections, that's for sure. 

Besides cultivating a very impressive bandcamp page (with tons of cool songs and cover designs) and releasing an album on OUTLOUD! Records, I don't recall seeing much merch or promo stuff for The Anti-Bodies. What's your attitude towards promoting your band and spreading the word? To me you guys seem underrated.

We are currently updating our merch section now. It'd be a crime not to get these talented artists to do up some shirt designs. Thank you for saying we seem underrated. We try our best to promote!

What's next for The Anti-Bodies, and what are your ideal goals for the band? And finally, what are your favorite horror films of all time? 

Would really love to get into writing theme songs for cartoons, movies etc..

Favorite horror films-
The Monster Squad
Evil Dead 2
Tales from the Parkside: The Movie
The Gate
I feel like House 2 will be on my favorites list (but I fell asleep during it)

No comments:

Post a Comment