Friday, April 19, 2019

DAN VAPID 2019


DAN VAPID 2019

On your Dummy Room episode you mentioned that the new Dan Vapid and the Cheats album reflects a 5-year period of writing new material, and also mentioned that you experienced many demanding life transitions during that time (new house, new babies, etc.). Were you chomping at the bit to release something? How did you reckon with your situation in a way that didn't discourage you? Were you able to find unique inspiration knowing that you didn't have to rush it?

I had finally made the decision to no longer explore the possibility of playing music as my job/income. It was a bitter pill to swallow but music wasn’t coming anywhere close to a level of income to live. Facts were the facts. When adding children to this mix, as you know, it changes everything. I thought long and hard about hanging it up because I felt discouraged. The idea of touring like a band should and the reality of fatherhood and paying bills did not coincide. When I moved from Chicago to southern Illinois I applied to the Post Office and have been there for the last 4 years. Still, I couldn’t change who I am and what I love to do. From there, a non-conventional plan forward was made.

Another topic that stood out to me in your Dummy Room episode was your impression of how All Wound Up Vol.2 was largely overlooked at the time of its release. Have you reflected on why this may have occurred? Timing perhaps? Is there a sense in which categorizing the album as the follow-up to your first kid's record somehow limiting in how your audience interprets the work?
I have reflected on it and came to the conclusion that the novelty wore out for people the second time around. I was really happy how it turned out but don’t think people wanted that type of thing from me. I could be wrong but that was my impression. 
Something admirable about your songwriting is that you allow yourself to branch out into various flavors and genres, but are also aware of and take pleasure in what you're best known for as an artist - also embracing what appears to come naturally to you. Do you encounter frustrations in your attempts to equitably address your various tastes and goals as a songwriter? Is it difficult to allocate time and/or map out goals for projects like Noise By Numbers, for example? How do you budget your time for music now in your present life situation?

Yes, to all of the above. Being a musician and songwriter is hard with three small children, full time job, marriage and house. But it is still important to me. I just do my best with the time available. 
In our last interview we discussed the prevalence of depression as an issue that many artists and like-minded people struggle with in our community. I've recently begun studing CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and have set some new goals for my own mental/emotional health. Have you achieved a higher/more focused understanding of your own mental/emotional needs, and are you able to find satisfaction and meaning in your life sufficient to keep the dark thoughts from invading most of the time?
Yes. About 4 years ago I found out I had undiagnosed ADHD. I lived the majority of my life thinking something wasn’t right and not being able to put my finger on what it was. Many symptoms like anxiety and depression, which I had been diagnosed with many times, fall under the umbrella of those with ADHD. I can’t tell you what an enormous relief it was to finally have an explanation that made sense with the symptoms I was having. While medicine isn’t perfect and often needs to be adjusted, the realization of knowing and identifying WHY something is happening can really mean a lot. Thus, It’s important to identify and stay educated on these matters. CT is a great way of putting our negative thoughts into perspective. My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered what is seemingly inexplicable. But it’s important to know, in all seriousness and cliches aside, that you are not alone. Help is out there and the science behind the mystery of the brain has made great leaps forward. 
Something you haven't seemed too keen to explore is the whole "singer-songwriter" pathway that many punk songwriters have taken later in their careers. Does the idea of performing acoustically appeal to you at all? Do you ever envision yourself playing coffee houses and farmers markets? It seems to me a possible way to bridge the experiences of the "punk" with the "family guy".
I have written several acoustic songs I just haven’t recorded them yet. I plan to record them at some point.  I have played a few acoustic shows with Simon which were a lot of fun. The casual and laid back nature of showing up to a venue and not having to load in 4X12 guitar amps and 8x10 bass amps, drums, etc... and playing a set and then throwing the guitar bag over your shoulder and taking a cab ride home is definitely appealing. It takes out a lot of the logistics including practicing which eliminates competing schedules. 
What do you make of the current level of interest in the type of music you're best known for playing - pop punk? Has it become, in your view, more of a niche community with focused and limited relevance? Do you get the sense that your children will grow up relating to the traditional forms of rock music, or could we be facing an extinction of sorts within our lifetime where it becomes increasingly generational?

Assuming we’re not defining pop punk as Fallout Boy and Warped Tour bands I would agree. Pop Punk is a musical style with a niche audience who's wider appeal has long been in decline. This view is shared by many people in this community. But like most styles of music, it wouldn’t surprise me if it had its return. Although, IF this musical style comes full circle, I don’t think it will have the same impact or effect. 
  
I hope my children grow up to like Rock-n-Roll derivative music. I like to think that a magic torch passed down over generations from great and inspirational artists hasn’t reached the end of its flame. But time will tell. 

You and I have discussed metal music in the past, and possibly in our last interview. What interests me is your capacity for composing metal songs - have you given much though to this possibility? The forms of metal I envision you creating would fall somewhere along the Dio and Iron Maiden continuum - rock-based, catchy, powerful yet rooted in rock. Do any of these musings resonate with you? Do you listen to any metal music currently?

If I were to write a metal song it would be something powerful but catchy. I think early thrash bands had that quality before shifting towards the technical. At this juncture, the hooks were missing. That’s when I found myself drifting more towards punk and hardcore. I have always valued simplicity and pop sensibilities over technical ability. I was possibly the odd duck in the flock, but that’s how I felt about music and still do. This taste in aesthetics applies to all music genres not just pop punk or the Ramones. 

Financially, is it difficult and/or stressful to record albums at this point in your career? Do you find it to be worthwhile to go all-in and record properly in a studio each time? What are your thoughts on DIY recording and the future of the home studio? Do you think you'll ever get to a point where you'd be motivated to produce your own music at home and release it that way? 

It can be financially difficult to record at times but have always found ways to make it work.  None of my projects have lost money to make. We play shows, sell merch, etc...put the profit back into a band fund and repeat the process.

On a similar note, what aspects of the music business do you deal with directly at this point in your music career? Is it fair to call it a career? Were there points in your history where music actually paid the bills? How do you view your musical pursuits now -  more as a passion and a hobby or perhaps a combination of those things as well as a viable source of supplemental income?

Like I said earlier, I used to live off music but don’t anymore. Those days are over and whether they return is something I’m not planning for. Life is much easier when you deal with what is there and act accordingly. A sustainable livelihood from music is not in the cards for me, at least not now. I work a full time day job and consider music to be a professional hobby and supplemental income. 

This is something I may have touched on in our first interview, but I'll reframe it like this: What is your feeling towards your role as a mentor/inspirational figure for other songwriters who want to create music directly influenced by your work? Your name obviously carries weight in our community, and proximity to you in the scene is a mark of distinction for any band or songwriter attempting to create music of a similar caliber to yours. Do you consider this role often? How does it feel when you're approached by fans who are also songwriters and see that spark in their eye - that desire to craft something worthy of your work?

I appreciate when anybody-musicians and non-musicians alike-enjoy a song I wrote or record I played on. I consider myself fortunate to be able to write a song and have people enjoy it.  I usually appreciate and find that spark in someone’s eyes interesting. When it happens, it has a way of putting that spark right back into me. 

Something very cool about your body of work is it's accessibility lyrically and melodically - you don't swear much, your themes aren't offensive, and your songs in general have a universal feel and appeal. Have you always sought to create works that would stand the test of time in these ways? Are there albums or songs you've written that you feel are frozen in the time of their creation? What on your thoughts on the choice of the artist to be deliberate in making those choices about how to convey feeling and tone with lyrics specifically?

Honestly, I often mimic songs or artists I love and put my own spin on it. The trick is to not be too obvious about it. Most of my favorite songs from the beginning of rock-n-roll to the present day don’t swear a lot and have universal appeal. Because I love these songs it’s natural to want to do the same. 

I feel like I have written songs and records that don’t hold up in time. But I don’t worry about it too much.  I also try not to concern myself if a song isn’t up to par with another song; or if a previous record is better or worse than a current record. I believe that no artist is beyond reproach and can hit a home run every time him or her steps up to the plate. And it’s perfectly okay. You just do your best. 

One thing that has always been clear since I first met you is that you're a very down to earth and considerate guy. There's no tension or weird energy surrounding the interactions I've had with you or observed you having with others. This interests me both from a personality perspective, but also considering you spent a lot of time working with Ben, whose legacy includes a lot of controversy and conflict. How do you see yourself in the role of "punk celebrity" and to what degree do you remain conscious of the impression you make on others - fans in particular?

I don’t think about the punk celebrity thing too much. I just do my thing. If i have to act outrageously to bring attention to my band then, well...I’d rather not. Being ignored sucks but acting like a jerk for attention is far worse. Everybody is a human being before a punk celebrity, reaper of conflict, whatever.  I believe this is important no matter who you are or what you do. 

Some of your contemporaries and friends have gone on to establish very successful careers as musicians on levels that are difficult for me to relate to or imagine. Do you maintain contact with any of these more successful connections? Have you ever received any particular feedback from such friends/colleagues regarding your own body of work, level of success, etc.? And are you personally satisfied with the level of success you've achieved up to this point?

I can get frustrated at low turn outs or audiences that look like they’re in a coma. To me, that isn’t fun and begin wondering what I’m doing wrong. That said, I’m getting better at simply enjoying the process despite who shows up and how they respond. 

Every once in a while I get texts or emails, FB messages from famous/ semi-famous musicians. I’m happy for them. If anybody can either play music for their livelihood they’ve won half the battle. Wishing ill on anybody for their status will never change your own situation. 

To wrap this up, can you give us a snap shot of your daily life as a dad/career man/husband - in other words your "regular life" in contrast to your activities as a musician? How limiting are the demands of family and career, and how do you prioritize so that you're able to continue doing what you do musically? What continues to motivate you to write, record, play shows, etc.? And finally, what's next on the horizon for you?

I wake up at 5:15am and meditate for 20 minutes. Take medicine, make breakfast and coffee, read for 20-30 minutes. Mostly books and news. I sometimes go for a walk or a run. I drive a 2003 right handed Jeep Wrangler (a car I bought when I started working at the post office) 20 minutes through mostly farmland to the neighboring town which has a population of 2400 people. I work the majority of the day by myself delivering mail 6 days a week. I get home and tend to children, house chores and chaos until Alisha is done working. We eat, tie up loose ends until it’s the kids bedtime. Then I check emails, messages, work on lyrics or read until I go to bed. 

1 comment:

  1. I first met Dan at The Fireside Bowl. He was sitting at the opposite end of the bar. I told Hammer I wanted to buy Dan and his friend a a drink. He said " Danny doesn't pay for drinks here" So he was a punk rock star holding court. Made me a bit nervous to introduce myself and tell him how much I admired his music. When I did he couldn't have been more gracious, humble and down to earth. Made me like him even more. Dan, we are looking forward to seeing you in Chicago at the Chop Shop in Chicago this June

    ReplyDelete