Thursday, November 8, 2018

NAOKO YAMANO


NAOKO YAMANO

When were you first exposed to rock n' roll music, and when did you first decide to try writing your own songs?
 
When I was 14 years old, I got to know the Beatles through radio, magazines and friends. Since then I listened it again and again. After the Beatles, I listened to KISS and went to their concert. Until that time, I was just a listener of rock n' roll music. In late 70’s, punk new wave movement was happening. Influenced by that music, I decided to start band. I wanted to cover my favorite songs but it was more easy for me to make my own music because if I make my own songs, they never beyond my ability of my guitar skill. However Shonen Knife have ever covered songs of Ramones, Buzzcocks, Delta 5, Rezillos or Mo-dettes.
 
In the early days, were there specific songwriters that you tried to emulate when you were learning how to craft songs?
 
I’ve been to listen many various music. I don’t have any specific songwriters but I’m inspired by all songs I listened to.
 
At what point did you begin to feel confident in your own songwriting? Were you showing your songs to other people for feedback?
 
I’ve never have a conscious about ‘confident’ but I’m always trying to make fun songs which have good melody lines. I get nervous when I show my new songs to other people, though.
 
Did you record demos at home or have some other way to remember your song ideas? Do you do any home demos now that it's so easy to record with GarageBand and other programs?
 
I used to use PC soft like Performa to make demos but it takes long to make demos. Recently I just use Voice Memo. I sing along my guitar and record songs using Voice Memo. And send them to our members. I have my idea for the bass lines and drums roughly on my side. When we went to a studio and built and complete the arrangements.
 
How did your guitar style develop? You have a very unique style. I have noticed that you seem to play some power chords with your thumb on the root note instead of the forefinger? Also your leads are very melodic and well-composed even though the techniques you use aren't flashy.
 
I couldn’t play the guitar when I started the band but once I learned tonic chords and subdominant chords, I could become to play all backing for songs. I have relative pitch since I was a child and I could play most of all songs without looking guitar chords. I only use tonic and subdominant and couldn’t play power chords still now. >From our album “Overdrive”, I started to use “power chords-ish”, though. I use my thumb for some chords because it’s just comfortable. I’ve ever heard that some Jazz guitar players use thumb for playing chords.
 
For guitar solo, I can’t play adlib. I always make solo melody lines beforehand. I think that’s why my solo guitar is melodic.
 
Shonen Knife lyrics have become known for their pure quality - you don't seem to write about negative feelings as a rule. Do your songs provide relief from negative stress in your life? Have you ever struggled with negative feelings or depression as a creative person?
 
I always try to make fun lyrics which make people happy through our music. I don’t want to write negative lyrics. Even if I write lyric of anger, it should have a sense of humor. I’m happy if my songs provide relief from negative stress in people’s life. I always struggle with minor negative depression in my daily life but I forget bad things quickly. However writing lyrics is very hard and difficult for me.
 
Your band's approach has always seemed very professional and self-motivated. Do you feel that Shonen Knife stands alone in the music community, or are there other bands and scenes that you feel strongly connected to?
 
I think Shonen Knife is very unique because I’m inspired by various genre of music. We don’t belong to any category or scene like , Punk, Heavy Metlal, Garage, Psychedelic or Noise. But we have many friend bands like Redd Kross all over the world.
 
In Japan underground pop punk music has become a force once again, and there are many excellent bands. Do you have any contact with the pop punk bands of Japan? My Japanese friends have commented that Shonen Knife seems to have a larger audience outside of Japan.
 
In 1990’s when we have a major contract, we had big fan base in Japan but now we are more popular outside of Japan. I write songs inspired by mainly 1970’s American and British rock. My music is a little far from main stream of Japanese rock. My melody lines are more western style. All of my lyrics are written in English. In Japan, Japanese bands’ melody lines are more Asian and lyrics are written in Japanese. But a considerable number of Japanese bands understand us.
 
The Japanese culture is fascinating to many Americans like myself. One aspect of the society seems to be a very hard-working attitude that must involve a lot of pressure and stress. Do you feel that being Japanese has given you some advantage as a working band? You've continued playing for so long and have so many releases, it is really amazing!
 
I’m lazy but I can continue the band by many people’s support. I want to continue the band as far as there are our fans who want to listen to our music.
 
Your touring schedule stays very busy all the time - does the touring life suit you? It seems that it would involve a lot of exhaustion and frustration at times. Also are you at all discouraged by the current era where people don't purchase music or support bands in the same ways they once did?
 
I like touring. I think our tour schedule is very standard for touring bands. If taking days off often, it cost much expense. Only some old famous big bands can take off days between shows. I can’t help about people’s consumption trend. I play music as far as our fans exist.
 
Your guitars have always been really cool. What do you look for in an electric guitar? Do you prefer a specific guitar tone? Shonen Knife uses distortion but it's not the same as the typical punk rock crunch. Perhaps a more classic rock tone?
 
I use my custom made guitar made by Fujigen in Japan. I also use Gibson Flying V. In the US, I use Daisy Rock Guitar which adjusted to my style. I use effect pedals on stage. For distortion, it isn’t distortion but overdrive. It is Sobbat Drive Breaker 2. I adjust the sound with amp head, too.
 
Something that many people notice is that you appear to be very young. Do you feel that your music keeps you young? Do you ever feel disconnected from the life of a typical person your age?
 
Thanks! If so, I’m happy! Some of my mother’s family look young for their age. Yes, I do. I feel that my music keeps me fresh.
 
Shonen Knife has maintained an all-female line-up throughout the band's history. Do you ever hear from fans who say you inspired them to play in a rock band as girls and women?
 
Yes!! I often hear that many girl's bands from all over the world formed bands inspired by us. I’m honored about it and I hope many girls play rock.
 
You are a seasoned fan of rock music and classic punk - what other styles of music do you enjoy listening to? Do you like heavy metal, for example?
 
I don’t listen to punk or punk pop in 70’s and 80’s in recent years. I like to listen to 70’s Funk, Soul, Disco music. For example, EW & F, The Isley Brothers, Slave, Heatwave, Michael Jackson, Con Funk Shun, The Bar-Kays, Marvin Gaye, The Stylistics and more… Other than that, I like 70’s British Hard Rock like Judas Priest, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath or ‘70’s American Rock like Boston, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, KISS. I sometimes listen to Death Metal, too. 60’s and 70’s pop bands are good, too. I love bands like Pilot and Queen. Oh, I listen to Progressive Rock, too. My favorite is Asia.
 
I like music which I can’t play.
 
What are your impressions of the "pop punk scene"? Were you ever a fan of the prominent bands in the genre such as Screeching Weasel, The Queers, and The Lillingtons? Did you feel that Shonen Knife fit into this scene? What did you think of Lookout! Records and Fat Wreck Chords in the 90s?
 
I’m not familiar with this scene. I need to research.
 
What are your next plans for Shonen Knife, and do you foresee yourself following the musical path for many more years? Do you expect to retire and pursue other goals, or would you prefer to continue playing rock music?
 
If I can I prefer to continue playing rock music as far as our fans exit. Anyway, I want to get done to make new lyrics for our new album so far.
 
Do you have any advice for those who are passionate about songwriting? How do you feel about all of your accomplishments as a musician?
 
I’m still developing. Advice? Hmm… Listen to various many songs and make your own original songs.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview!! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naoko is so humble. She writes and plays happy positive songs and makes the world a better place for all of us. Thank GOD for Shonen Knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview ! Naoko is so humble. We are all lucky that SK is still out there doing what they do best ! Making everyone happy !

    ReplyDelete