Monday, August 13, 2018

CJ RAMONE

CJ RAMONE

At what age did you realize that you loved music? How were you introduced to the world of rock n' roll, and do you recall your earliest favorite songs/bands?

Music was a big part of my life from when I was a little guy. It was always on at home and in the car. I sang soprano in the school choir and listened to my fathers records at home. Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, as well as 50’s era Rock-n-Roll. The first record my parents gave me was a compilation of 50’s #1 hits. Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, I loved it all. 

At what point did you begin to seek out and discover new music on your own? Were there people in your life who encouraged your interest in music? Did you have friends and/or family members who influenced your tastes significantly?

The next biggest influence was the RADIO!!! I loved driving around in my dad’s car listening to all the great music from the 60s and 70s. The pop music was really great from those years and I loved everything from Motown to the singer songwriters like Jim Croce and Simon and Garfunkel. The songs from those times told stories and  were sung with melancholy melodies that made me feel every word. But when I hit my teens I started to hear different sounds through my older cousins and friends. The Beatles, Elton John, David Bowie, were artists that expanded my horizons. I listened to YES because Chris Squires bass lines were incredible and Jon Anderson's vocals reminded me of the beautiful high notes from choir. Every style of music had something to enjoy. But the day I heard Black Sabbath, everything else faded. 

When did you pick up an instrument, and what were the circumstances? Are you a self-taught player, or did you have some lessons/training along the way? Has the bass been your primary instrument? What other instruments can you play, and which is your "go-to" instrument for songwriting?

I started playing bass at 13. Up to that point, I played soccer, but a growth spurt in the summer between eighth and ninth grade caused me to have to wear knee braces which put an end to my soccer dreams. My friends had a band but did not have a bass player, so I asked my father to buy me a bass. It was an old imitation Fender Precision. I had no idea how to play or even how to tune it. But from watching my friends, I found I could imitate them. With no lessons or instruction, I learned songs by sounding them out. 
To this day, I still don’t know all the notes on the neck or which fit together. I’m not a real player, I use the bass to express myself. I can play a little guitar which I did in my band LOS GUSANOS, and like to sit behind the drums now and again, but bass is what I love. I write all my songs on acoustic guitar which I play a lot at home. 

When did you start writing songs? How did you approach songwriting in the early days, how did you develop your skills? Were you sharing your songs with people and getting feedback? When did you begin to feel confident and capable as a songwriter?

I loved poetry when I was young and still do. That and music were an easy match. I wrote lyrics long before I wrote songs, but while I was still in my teens I started writing songs. I prefer to write alone. I have tried working with others but it is a personal process to me and find I can’t really open up with someone watching. 
It took me many years, but my first solo record RECONQUISTA is probably my first bunch of songs I really liked and feel I’ve gotten better with each record. 

Prior to joining the Ramones, what were your main projects/bands? Were you the primary songwriter in Guitar Pete's Axe Attack? How did the experience of joining the Ramones impact your perspective on songwriting? Did it influence your work in Los Gusanos? Do you feel that your own songs improved as a result of your time in the Ramones?

Guitar Pete’s Axe Attack is the only other band I played in before the Ramones that had any success. Pete wrote all the songs but gave us space to write our own lines. Funny enough I came up with the name Axe Attack. A little influence from Michael Schenker’s song “Attack of the Mad Axeman.”
Being in the Ramones and learning to play a major part of their song catalog influenced me greatly. There is no way you can be in the Ramones for seven years and not be influenced. It has influenced everything I’ve done after it but not stylistically. I was more inspired to play with energy and to be myself. I think many bands of differing styles were influenced by the Ramones in that way. 

Were you in contact with Dee Dee much throughout your time in Ramones? Did you ever have conversations with him about songwriting specifically? What was your take on his approach to songwriting? Did you try to incorporate any of his style into your own? Also, was there any tension between the two of you as a result of you being his replacement?

I did have contact with Dee Dee while the band was together, but much more after the band retired. He was always cool to me except one time at the last show he threatened to punch me in the face. He was the bad Dee Dee that day. I knew he wouldn’t. 
I played with him in the Remainz and talked with him about songwriting many times. I had learned about his process just from listening to the demo tapes he submitted for each album that he wrote songs on, which was every album! Our processes were very similar. DeeDee wrote lyrics about the world he lived in and how he saw it the same way I do. Songs start as  different ideas, whether it be a guitar riff, a catchy title, or lyrics, and are built from there. I wrote on the acoustic mostly just as he did. 
In 1992 he told Johnny he wanted to come back to the band. Johnny said no which I’m sure upset DeeDee. If I had known, I would have told Johnny to bring DeeDee back and let me be his tech. 

Did you ever collaborate with Joey on songs? How did you see his style of songwriting compared to Dee Dee's? Did you often show Joey or the other guys your own songs? Also, were there any "rules" about you contributing material for Ramones?

Joey is the only person who ever tried to teach me about songwriting. He had a guitar tuned to an open chord and a little amp at his house that he did all his writing on. He taught me some key things about melody, not worrying if your song sounded like someone else’s, and that when writing lyrics there should be no wasted words. “Every word has to have a punch“. It doesn’t sound like much advice, but it really helped me a lot. I really enjoyed listening to him play his ideas. I consider myself very lucky to have seen Joey and Dee Dee work their creative processes. The big difference between the two was Joey was more the songsmith, writing with a strict set of rules about traditional things like girls in a quirky way. Dee Dee wrote from life experiences, introspection, anger, Dee Dee against the world! Joe we never left the pop side of the Ramones, DeeDee went over to the darker side of things the older he got. His lyrics on Born to Die in Berlin are a perfect example of the dark poetry that he traded for the goofy pop of Blitzkrieg Bop. To me he is one of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll song writers of all time.
There were no rules as far as submitting songs for the record, but it was very difficult for me to put what I was writing next to Joey and Dee Dees classic songs.

In between the end of the Ramones and the beginning of your solo career, were you hesitant or anxious about putting out your own music as a former Ramone? Did you ever feel that there would be built-in expectations that could have restricted you creatively? The debut Bad Chopper album didn't come out until 2000, so was there a period where you were searching for direction or questioning your goals as a musician/songwriter?

I never put any expectations on anything I did post Ramones. I was writing and recording whatever I felt at the time. In the back of my mind I felt that if I ever wrote anything that I know would have made it onto a Ramones record, I would Record it as CJ Ramone. 
1996-2004 was a complicated time in my life. I got married and started a family but kept touring and writing until my son was diagnosed with autism. I went through a divorce and  became a single dad which made it impossible for me to continue with music. The Bad Chopper record was a bright spot, but I couldn’t tour to support it. I think each album I recorded has been a reflection of what life was like at the time I wrote the songs. Like I said, I play bass not to be a player and I don’t sing to be a singer, I use them to express what I’m feeling. That is my only goal and songwriting.

You've been prolific as CJ Ramone, and the albums have been consistently great. How did you come to the decision to release albums as a solo artist, and what were your goals going into Reconquista? Was your intent to allow your sound to evolve with each album, or was there a specific sound that you were going for that you wanted people to associate with your name?

I think the songs that I right now would have easily made great Ramones records. The things Joey taught me come out in such a subtle way on some of the prettier songs I’ve written that I can literally hear his voice when I listen to them.
Johnny would have easily enjoyed the heavier songs and his guitar sound and playing style would have made my good songs great.
The evolution from Reconquista to American Beauty is a very natural one and you are hearing me just become more like me! There are two other people who have influenced the sound of my records. Steve Soto and Dan Root of the Adolescents. Steve’s vocal harmonies are a big part of my sound and Dan Roots guitar playing is stellar. 
My friend Steve Soto died recently and I will miss him, but he’ll live on with every record I make in the influence he had on me. 

I think many were pleasantly surprised by your decision to release Last Chance to Dance on Fat Wreck Chords. How did that come about? Were you already pretty familiar with the label's history and influence? Were you interested in reaching a different audience? What was your take on the "skate punk" and pop punk that Fat Wreck released and help to popularize in the 90s? Do you have any favorite songwriters from Fat's roster past or present?

Steve Soto made that all happen. I was of course familiar with the label and Fat Mike’s legendary status as the Punk who can’t be stopped!!! Mike and his label have been nothing short of dominant for a long time so it was an easy decision. The skate and pop punk scene in the 90’s were epic thanks to Fats ability to find great bands and get them out on the road. 
Favorite Fat bands now, Mean Jeans and NightBirds. 

You've always come across as an approachable and relatable artist - someone who enjoys connecting with fans and collaborating within smaller scenes. Do you feel that you've reached a point in your career where you're somewhat of a mentor to other songwriters and bands? How do you see your own role in the punk community now?

Because I was a fan before getting into the band, I’ve always felt as much a part of the audience as I did the band. I love talking about the Ramones and music in general. Besides, the fans are the people who make my life possible.
I don’t know if anyone considers me a mentor, but I have tried to advise those who asked for advice as best as I could. If I can help someone or another band out, I do. I’m always willing to share something I learned, but it is quite a different business now than it was when I first came in. When it comes to songwriting, I like sharing about the creative process. I’m always willing to learn and teach.  
I guess I am getting to be one of the elder statesman of the punk rock community!!

What is your take on the phenomenon of "Ramonescore"? Were you aware that other bands were essentially forming tribute bands but writing "original" songs while doing everything possible to emulate the Ramones aesthetic? Are there any such bands that you're a fan of? What's your perspective on the current pop punk scene?

Yes, I knew about the Ramonescore bands. Screeching Weasel, the Queers, the Riverdales, etc... Loved the whole movement. Who wouldn’t?
Starting to see some good pop punk bands  again. Keep it up kids!!!

Reflecting on your career in music, what are your proudest accomplishments so far? Do you feel satisfied with your body of work, and are you hoping to continue releasing albums consistently? What are your proudest moments as a songwriter specifically? Is there a song or album you've written that you feel is your best so far?

I am happy with my career and as proud as I could be. I’ve got some good music still in me and I love to play. I recently did a show with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and had about as much fun as I’ve ever had on stage. 
Favorite songs I’ve written?
Three Angels, You’re the Only One, Before the Lights Go Out, Carry Me Away, Lets Go, Tommys Gone, Girlfriend in a Graveyard. 
American Beauty is my absolute favorite. 

What's next for you? Are you working on any current projects? What advice would you offer to fellow songwriters who are struggling to find their voice? Is there a key to your success?

Book, New Record, maybe a documentary, touring, learning to tattoo, maybe a fishing boat, whatever else I can fit in. 
Inspiration is the key to writing. I find it all around me. I think I saved some part of me as a child that still sees the world with wide eyes. It’s where most of my creativity comes from. I also find it in everything from movies to motorcycles to comic books. But my need to express myself is what brings it all into focus and allows me to show all of you, through my songs, the world that I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment