Monday, June 11, 2018

KURT BAKER


KURT BAKER

At what point in your life did you realize that music was important to you, and when did you begin writing songs? Did you always want to sing? It seems that you've always possessed a strong vocal ability. When did you realize that you had potential as a musician/songwriter?

From a pretty young age, I was pretty obsessed with music. I think I must have been about 5 years old when I got really into the Beatles. I listened to the Beatles non-stop, and then a lot of oldies radio because they used to play the Beatles, and I also got turned on to groups like The Turtles, Mama's and The Papa's, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Lou Christie and Lesley Gore. That really set the foundation for my musical taste.. I kinda stuck out in school because in the early 90's none of the kids at my school really cared much about The Beatles or were really interested in musical groups. Around 6th grade, more kids were interested in music and I had made some friends who liked Goldfinger and Reel Big Fish. By 7th grade, I had formed my first group, called Drain. We couldn't play our instruments at all so it was impossible to do anything except original songs, because making covers would have been a disaster, so at least we were gonna make our own kinda original awful noise. I think the first real song that I wrote and performed with Drain was a tune called "Sorry About Your Phalanges", which was about accidentally pushing somebody down the stairs. There were a lot of stairs at my school, I think that must have been the influence behind that tune. I was the singer of the band, I guess because nobody else wanted to sing. I was not a great singer back then, and i'm still improving, but even up to the first few years of The Leftovers, I wasn't so confident singing, but I did it anyway because I was writing the songs so it was just easier. Back to the beginning... Drain played three shows, and then we broke up at the last day of school backyard barbecue show, because man, we really really sucked, but soon after I started up a new project, because I knew this was what I wanted to do. 

Was The Leftovers your first band? What recordings or shows had you participated in prior? The Leftovers made a pretty big impact despite having a short career - how was that experience overall? It seemed that you guys were both immersed in the pop punk scene but also striving to create timeless tunes.

The Leftovers was not my first group, but it was the first band I had to play outside of Maine and the United States. We were together from 2002-2010 and I think we accomplished a lot. We had a good run, I guess you could say. We were on the cusp of achieving a lot more than we did, and finally, I've got a pretty bitter taste in my mouth about how the band ended. Basically, the band broke up because of obvious musical differences, and our drummer decided to move to Los Angeles. I was getting into other styles of music and was realizing that we were not able to play as we did on the records on stage and it was frustrating. I wanted us to grow and become a better band. I wanted to explore other styles of music, but the other guys wanted to keep it more punk rock. Creative differences always happen, but there were a lot of personal differences as well. Being in a band can be a lot of fun, but it's also very difficult when things are not going well. The reality was that there were divisions in the group primarily stemming from our guitar players' jealousy and need for control in the group. He was very manipulating, and things were really not going well especially because we were all living together in the same house. Things reached a boiling point and I felt like I was being treated really bad and had no support from the other members of the band, so I quit. The end was a bit traumatic for me, as it was really the first legit band, we had some great times, but I felt isolated and that my friends actually weren't really the people I thought they were. That's the short story, being in a band isn't always fun and games. 

Was there always a sense that you wanted to strike out on your own as a solo artist? What was your approach to doing this? What are the pros and cons of being a solo artist versus being in a band where everyone has more or less equal status?

I never really wanted to be a "solo" artist, but it's just the way things happened. I always loved the idea of being in a band. A band is much stronger and much more appealing than a solo artist. You have a lot more freedom when you are doing the solo stuff, but you definitely miss the kind of team camaraderie. In the Leftovers, I was pretty much in charge of the songwriting in the last few years of the band. I didn't really handle any of the business or management stuff. Other members of the band did that, and I got the impression that there were some rifts between them and the record label that put out the last Leftovers album "Eager to Please". The label approached me about doing a special solo EP of cover songs... I got along very well with the producer of "Eager to Please", who would also produce my first solo EP "Got It Covered", and it was so fun to do something special like a covers EP, but when that album was recorded the Leftovers were still a band. My intention was not to have a solo career, but for "Got It Covered" to be a fun little side project record. Then the band broke up and I decided to keep on going. I didn't have a group in the States, but my friends from Italy, Radio Days, invited me on tour with them and do a full set of songs just as the singer.. so that's kind of how the whole solo thing came about. When I got back from Europe I had the chance to work with a handful of some of the best musicians and best friends I've ever worked with.. forming the Kurt Baker Band. The lineups often changed but there was never any bad blood, it was just that everybody was busy with their own bands and projects, but those guys always were dedicated to rockin' and having fun. The polar opposite of the shitshow I went through with the Leftovers, it was such a refreshing feeling to be playing with positive people. 

How did your songwriting evolve in between The Leftovers and your first Kurt Baker album? It seems like you'd shed a lot of the pop punk elements in favor of a more classic sound. What motivated this decision? Which classic artists were you drawing the most inspiration from? 

As a songwriter, you are constantly looking to grow and evolve.. to improve. I was getting into more power pop and new wave stuff. I saw a direct connection between a lot of the pop punk records from the 90's and the Power Pop stuff from the late 70's and early 80's. I guess my songwriting became very influenced by The Romantics, Rubinoos, Rick Springfield and Cheap Trick. It was a natural progression for me to start writing stuff with more of a classic sound. Also, once I started working as a solo artist, I had the chance to work with musicians that thought outside of the box, and it wasn't just a strict power chord Ramones sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Ramones, but I couldn't and still can't imagine myself only playing that type of style. I started working with a guy named Wyatt Funderburk around the time of "Eager to Please". We wrote "Telephone Operator" together and from there we collaborated more and more. We both shared a huge love for all kinds of music from the Beach Boys to ELO to The Queers, so we tried to combine all those influences, which I think really opened up the songs.. There is a big difference between the tunes on "Eager to Please" and "Brand New Beat" for this reason. 

Was there a period of study involved as you transitioned from one style to another? How did you gain confidence as a songwriter when you were attempting to create that more timeless, universal style of rock? 

I definitely think working with Wyatt really helped me gain confidence in writing outside of the 3 chord pop/punk style. I'd always tried to incorporate my love for 60's melodies and music in the Leftovers sound, which I think made us unique in a way, but once Wyatt and I started writing together, I finally knew that I had the ability to really flex the songwriting muscles and grow as a songwriter.

Lyrically it seems that you've always aimed for relatable lyrics that don't offend. Is this intentional? Would you ever write a Kurt Baker song with the word "fuck" in the lyrics? What is your overall approach to writing lyrics? 

I try to not be an offensive guy. I'm not an angry guy.. all the time, haha. But when it comes to lyrics, I was definitely writing a lot of relatable songs.. mostly about girls and relationships. This kinda thing many people can relate to. Honestly now, in 2018 i've grown tired of writing full albums with songs just about girls. I've definitely matured a bit in that sense. On the new record I just released with the Kurt Baker Combo, most of the songs are about social topics.. of course, there are still a few songs about relationships, but as a whole, I've really started to take a different approach to writing lyrics. I am pissed off about the current political situation in American and the World. There are songs on the new record about corporate greed, the importance of solidarity, drug abuse and a whole slew of other topics. At the same time, the style of my music is pretty much cemented as "good time fun" rock n roll.. and saying "Fuck" a lot just doesn't seem to fit. I've got another project called Bullet Proof Lovers, where I sing and write the lyrics.. It's a bit harder rock n roll. I say "Fuck" in one of the songs in that band, so if anybody wants to hear me sing "fuck", check out Bullet Proof Lovers. 

On the Play It Cool album (my current favorite) you seemed to dip into some more varied influences, such as The Cars. How did you approach writing songs such as "Prime Targets" which as that badass synth riff? Were you demoing songs for that album at home?

The Cars are a huge influence on me. I love them. Prime Targets definitely has a nod to them, and also a band that I love a lot called Adventures of Jet. I do most of my demos from home, on garageband. They usually don't come out anything like the final project.. for example the demo of Prime Targets didn't have the synth line, which was something that Wyatt added to the tune, which really makes the song what it is. 

You've released a large number of albums in the past decade - are you naturally prolific as a songwriter? How do you typically catalog your ideas and notes so as not to forget them? Do you constantly write? How difficult has is been to maintain the pace of your productivity in a musical climate where records are harder to sell and production costs remain high?

I do try to constantly write, but at times it can be difficult especially with a busy touring schedule. You've gotta be in the right frame of mind to write. I do get a lot of ideas when i'm away from my guitar or piano, so I often try and sing a little melody line into my phone as a voice memo. Often times when i'm working on finishing up a record and in a need for ideas, I go back to old voice memos looking for any ideas that stick. The creative process comes in waves, and sometimes from out of nowhere. You never really know. There will be some months where i'll amass a huge amount of ideas and demos and then four months will go by and I've got nothing. There is no rhyme or reason to it, but if I find a time to dedicate myself to writing, I usually am able to combine new ideas and old stuff I've saved to put songs together. 

What were the circumstances that led to you moving to Spain, and was this a difficult decision to make? Were you a fluent Spanish speaker upon arrival? How is the culture and music scene different there compared to here? Do you feel connected to a more vital scene now that you're there? Is there ever a fear that you're "missing out" on what's happening in the USA?

I moved to Spain in 2013. I needed a change of scenery and I really couldn't do what I wanted to do as a musician living in Portland, ME. On top of that, the guys I was playing with in the Kurt Baker Band all lived in different towns across the country. I had a list of about 11 different drummers I would call up because it was very difficult to keep a set line up together. As mentioned before, it wasn't because there was bad blood or any problems in the band, it's just that everybody had their own projects going on. On top of that, touring the USA was extremely difficult and there was no money. People didn't seem to interested in coming to see us live either. Spain, and Europe, has always been the complete opposite. I had toured in Europe every year from 2006 until I finally moved here in 2013. Originally I was thinking about moving to Boston, New York, Nashville or even Los Angeles, but the price of living in those places is just extremely high. So, what would I have done? Moved to New York to focus on growing my career and have to work at a restaurant 24/7 just to pay rent and have no time to focus on writing, recording and playing? It didn't seem like the best way to approach it. In Spain, I had a lot of friends and the music scene here has always been very supportive. I didn't have a lot of money, but I saved up 3,000 bucks and said "Fuck it!" and moved there. I've been here since and now i'm really busy playing all over Europe in a handful of projects. I'm doing what I love and having a lot of fun. Of course, I miss my friends and family back home, but outside of that, I'm really disconnected from what's going on in the USA, and it doesn't bother me too much. Here in Europe, I've been able to see some of my favorite bands that would hardly ever playing Portland or Boston, there is a rock n roll scene, rock n' roll people and great food. Also, Trump isn't president here. So, yeah i'm feeling pretty good here. 

How does your family feel about your career? Are they supportive? Are you fully a professional musician in the sense that your livelihood relies on it? What business lessons have you learned over the past decade of touring and releasing albums?

I've been very fortunate to have a loving and supporting family. They have always encouraged me to do music because they've known since I was young that playing and performing music is my passion. Unfortunately, i'm still not at the stage of being a full-time professional musician, but since i've moved to Spain it's been a lot easier. I've been playing much more over here, and the promoters and conditions make it so that the dream to be a professional musician is not far from a reality. I still have to work during the week though, but luckily i've been able to also play more in these last four, five years than ever before. In terms of business lessons, I guess it's important to find the balance between fun and being professional. If you do not take yourself seriously and act like a professional than people will not treat you as one. You've got to be able to stand up for yourself and not be pushed around in this business. Especially nowadays, people have this conception that it's ok to not pay musicians for their time, and for example in the United States, a lot of clubs and promoters think it's ok to not compensate or take care touring musicians. Musicians are busting their asses to play and do what they love, but as a culture, we really need to respect that. In America there is so much competition amongst smaller independent artists that a lot of music venues or bars can get away with having bands play at their clubs every night for next to nothing, just because bands need to get out and try to play as much as they can, but they also need to be treated with respect. So, yeah, I guess the biggest lesson i've learned is to stick up and respect yourself and your music and don't take any bullshit from anybody. 

Do you feel that you've evolved beyond punk rock as a musician? Would you ever consider starting another purely pop punk project or band? Do you still listen to it? What inspired you to take your music further beyond the punk scene, and do you still feel that you have a foothold in the punk rock world?

Well, I guess I've evolved beyond Punk Rock, but it's still an important aspect of my life. Right now i'm playing bass in a band called K7's, who are very influenced by the old Lookout Sound, and that's a lot of fun more me.  I grew up with punk rock and I love the DIY aesthetic of it. Those that have a background playing and touring in punk rock bands are much more grounded and grateful to be playing, and they are very understanding of what it means to be playing music for the love of it. Do I listen to a lot of new punk rock? Well, no I don't. Right now, i'm more apt put on a jazz or classical record than a punk rock record.  A lot of new punk bands just don't interest me, but in the last 10 years i've gotten much more into older original punk rock. New York bands like the Dolls, Heartbreakers and groups from Detriot like The Stooges and MC5.. and I find that most of the newer punk groups that I enjoy are influenced by those groups. I got really burnt out on a lot of pop-punk. It's fun to put on a Screeching Weasel or Queers record every now and then, but just for nostalgia. I guess with any music sub-genre, you'll find a lot of people that are very fixated on just that type of music, and I began to feel like it was impossible to go to a pop/punk show and find somebody who wanted to talk about "Mystery to Me" by Fleetwood Mac. I think that's an incredible record. I also really like the Grateful Dead too, which is somehow sacrilegious in the Punk Rock scene. I'm a music lover, and I love great written songs.. It doesn't matter the genre, but for me, I wasn't hearing a lot of inspiring songs from Pop/Punk scene, so I just got into other stuff. I'll always have a special place in my heart for a lot of pop/punk bands and records, but I'm not really bothered if I don't have a foothold in that world anymore.

What are your future goals as a musician and songwriter? What advice would you give to the aspiring songwriter? What do you hope fans savor and take away for your songs? Is there a song or record you've produced that you're most proud of? 

I'd love to keep on playing, recording and improving as a musician. Advice wise, i'd say to just keep on writing, and allow yourself to be opened up to a world of new music and styles because once you get stuck in a certain type of writing style, it becomes very hard to grow and improve. I hope the fans continue to enjoy my music and enjoy the musical journey along with me. I'm very proud of my latest record with my group here in Spain, the Kurt Baker Combo. The new record is titled "Let's Go Wild", lyrically and musically, I think it's one of the diverse records I've done yet and it's also a lot of fun to play the new songs live.

No comments:

Post a Comment