Saturday, May 19, 2018

KEPI GHOULIE


KEPI GHOULIE

At what point in your life did you begin writing songs? What instrument were you writing with? Did you take any formal lessons? Which artists/bands were you most inspired by in the beginning? 

I think I wrote my first songs in high school, I do not vouch for the awesomeness of them. I started writing on acoustic guitar. I took lessons until I learned the 7 open chords, and then I was dismissed. I took 2 lessons since then. Always the Ramones, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Neil Young.

Minimalism is an obvious feature of your songwriting, though you are versatile. Do you find writing the short ones to be particularly fun/satisfying?

I do enjoy Little Richard and the 2:22 song, but I also don’t want to be wordy for the sake of it. I write what comes out, and keep what I think will last... minimalism often works well in that/those situation(s).

Do you tend to have a certain routine or approach to writing a new song? What's your usual method?

I try not to have an “approach” or songwriting style... sometimes music first, sometimes lyrics.... but I don’t ever want to have a formula. I think that it is good and healthy for an artist to have various approaches. No rules!

Over the years you've cultivated a very large catalog of songs. Do you go back and listen often? Is it enjoyable for you to listen to your own music?

In the Ghoulies, we were touring so much I never really listened to my own stuff. But since “I Bleed Rock n Roll”, I have actually enjoyed listening to my output as the production and guest musicians has/have increased and I am kind of in awe at the talent my friends have! Producers, guest guitarists, background vocal friends...

Some of your songs have a perfect and simple structure of verse/chorus/verse, like Brain Scrambling Device and Lonely Heart Blues. Are there any songs you've done where you felt like the result was ideal?

I like the simplicity of my songs... it leaves room for one to apply it to one’s own life/experiences. Two songs that I find SURPRISINGLY simple that continue to entertain me are “School is Out” from Re-Animation Festival and “Let’s Go To The Moon” from Fun in the Dark. The songs tell me when they are done... some are like buttermilk biscuits: a few small ingredients but SO delicious!

Something noteworthy about your career is your tendency to collaborate frequently with other artists, including your support of young artists (Little Medusas, Dog Party etc.). What motivates you to continue collaborating?

As far as collaboration, I just like working with people who are positive and enthusiastic... I am fortunately far enough along in my career where the people I work with know what it is all about: passion, art, community.

You've done many great cover songs over the years. How do you go about selecting covers, and which artists that you've covered have had the greatest influence on your own music?

In the Ghoulies (and now) I choose to cover songs that I like, that many in the general public may not know... or a friend’s song that I think deserves to be heard by the rest of the world... I may not have a huge reach, but I figure every little bit helps! I guess the covers of Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, Ramones, and Rolling Stones were the artists that had an obvious influence on me.

Pop punk as a genre has developed over the last 30 years, and you've contributed significantly to its aesthetic and form. Many find it inviting as a basis for beginning as a songwriter. What are your thoughts on the genre today? Are there any specific pop punk bands/songwriters who you feel are contributing something unique and worthwhile?

Pop punk as a genre: I think of it all as high energy rock and roll, but I understand the need of the masses to sub-classify everything... I did not used to care for the word “pop-punk” it kind of sounds flippant and dismissive, but good music is good music and this “genre” has definitely graced me with some fine friends and acquaintances so, I give thanks!

The current “unique” contributors for me are Copyrights and NOBUNNY, as I feel both continually add fresh twists to traditional musical genres.

You have maintained a very positive and welcoming vibe throughout your career, despite many challenges and struggles along the way. You've also managed to avoid controversy for the most part, other than the break-up of the Ghoulies which most understood and respected. How challenging has it been for you to maintain this aura of positivity and good humor despite it all?

The Groovie Ghoulies experience was and continues to be a huge milestone in and of my existence... I give thanks for every minute of it... remarkably AND fortunately, my life has continued on, I have gained an even greater sense of gratitude and positivity in this chapter: new friends, more music, new art, continued health and happiness... I can only thank everyone in my orbit for all that they do... there are SO MANY people in less fortunate conditions than us... what can you do besides be grateful?

Reflecting on what has been a very prolific and influential career so far, what are your thoughts on having inspired many other songwriters and having a Ghoulies tribute album? What words of wisdom might you offer the aspiring songwriter?

TWO tribute albums!!!! Whenever I doubt anything I think of this: the fact that anyone thinks my songs are worth covering is the greatest honor of all... it really is quite special! I would tell a songwriter to write the song that THEY would want to hear... because in the end oneself is the only person you have to account for!

No comments:

Post a Comment